Avik Roy is a Senior Fellow at the Manhattan Institute and the Opinion Editor at Forbes. In 2012, Roy served as a health care policy adviser to Mitt Romney. NBC’s Chuck Todd, on Meet the Press, described Roy as one “of the most thoughtful guys that [has] been debating” health care reform. He is the author of Transcending Obamacare: A Patient-Centered Plan for Near-Universal Coverage and Permanent Fiscal Solvency.
Roy is also principal author of The Apothecary, the influential Forbes blog on health care policy and entitlement reform. MSNBC's Chris Hayes calls The Apothecary "one of the best takes from conservatives on that set of issues." Ezra Klein, in the Washington Post, calls The Apothecary one of the few "blogs I disagree with [that] I check daily.”
In addition, Roy writes regularly for National Review Online on politics and policy. He is a frequent guest on television news programs, including appearances on Fox News, Fox Business, NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, Bloomberg, PBS, and HBO. His work has also appeared in The Atlantic, USA Today, National Affairs, and The American Spectator, among other publications.
He is the author of How Medicaid Fails the Poor, published by Encounter Books in 2013, and a member of the Advisory Board of the National Institute for Health Care Management.
At the Manhattan Institute, Roy's research interests include the Affordable Care Act, universal coverage, entitlement reform, international health systems, and FDA policy. Roy is the founder of Roy Healthcare Research, an investment research firm in New York. Previously, he served as an analyst and portfolio manager at Bain Capital, J.P. Morgan, and other firms.
He was born and raised near Detroit, Michigan, and graduated from high school in San Antonio, Texas. USA Today named him to its All-USA High School Academic First Team, honoring the top 20 high school seniors in the country. Roy was educated at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he studied molecular biology, and the Yale University School of Medicine.
- NBC’s “Meet the Press.”
- The Wall Street Journal’s “Opinion Journal with Mary Kissel”
- PBS Newshour
- Fox News’ “The Kelly File” with Megyn Kelly
- CNBC’s “The Kudlow Report” with Larry Kudlow
- Fox News' "Hannity" with Sean Hannity
- MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes"
- Bloomberg TV’s “Street Smart with Trish Regan”
- Fox Business Network's "The Willis Report" with Gerri Willis
- Fox News' "Fox & Friends"
- CNBC's “Closing Bell“
- HBO's “Real Time with Bill Maher“
- Fox News' “Special Report with Bret Baier“
- MSNBC’s “The Melissa Harris-Perry Show”
- MSNBC’s “Up with Steve Kornacki”
- MSNBC’s “The Cycle”
- The Blaze TV’s “Wilkow! with Andrew Wilkow”
- Fox Business Network’s “Money with Melissa Francis”
- Huffington Post Live
- Yahoo! Finance’s “The Daily Ticker”
- NPR New York’s “The Brian Lehrer Show”
- NPR’s “The Takeaway with John Hockenberry”
- NPR Los Angeles’s “Air Talk with Larry Mantle”
- WBAL's “The C4 Show“
- KFTK's “The Randy Tobler Show“
- WDRC's “Brad Davis Show“
- WCCO's “Michele Tafoya Show“
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- ACA Architect: ‘The Stupidity Of The American Voter’ Led Us To Hide ACA Costs, Forbes.com, 11-11-14
- Seven Obamacare Bills That The New GOP Senate Majority Should Pass In 2015, Forbes.com, 11-05-14
- Kasich: Only ‘Political Or Ideological’ People Oppose Ohio’s Medicaid Expansion, Forbes.com, 10-23-14
- Jeanne Shaheen’s Dishonest Claim That Obamacare Doesn’t Cut Medicare, Forbes.com, 10-22-14
- You Can Repeal Obamacare And Keep Kentucky's Insurance Exchange, Forbes.com, 10-15-14
- In Referendum With U.S. Implications, Swiss Voters Reject Single-Payer Health Care, Forbes.com, 10-01-14
- Can Republicans Repeal Obamacare Without Disrupting Coverage?, Forbes.com, 09-27-14
- Obamacare Has Failed To Collapse -- But Its Premiums Continue To Climb, Forbes.com, 09-14-14
- Healthcare.Gov Reports Hack Attack; Security Remains Compromised, Forbes.com, 09-05-14
- Don't Just Replace Obamacare--Replace The Great Society, The Weekly Standard, 09-04-14
- Obamacare Is Dampening The Job Market In 3 Principal Ways, Forbes.com, 09-01-14
- Revisions To 'Transcending Obamacare' Based On Reader Feedback, Forbes.com, 08-21-14
- Obamacare Or Not, GOP Should Focus On Reducing The Cost Of Health Care, Forbes.com, 08-20-14
- How to Transcend Obamacare, National Review Online, 08-13-14
- Don't Repeal Obamacare, Transcend It, Politico, 08-13-14
- Transcending Obamacare, Forbes.com, 08-13-14
- 50 Years After The Civil Rights Act, Integration Remains Elusive, Forbes.com, 07-31-14
- In 2012, Obamacare's Architect Agreed With 'Right-Wing' Strategy To 'Gut' Obamacare, Forbes.com, 07-25-14
- A Victory For The Rule Of Law, But Merely A Speed Bump For Obamacare, Forbes.com, 07-23-14
- SCOTUS: Corporations Have More Religious Freedom Than Taxpayers, Forbes.com, 07-01-14
- More Articles >>