James R. Copland is the director of the Manhattan Institute's Center for Legal Policy, which seeks to develop and communicate thoughtful ideas on how to improve the civil and criminal justice system. Copland oversees two of the Institute's websites, PointofLaw.com, a web magazine that brings together information and opinion on the U.S. litigation system, as well as the Institute's new corporate-governance website, ProxyMonitor.org. He is also project manager for the Institute's Trial Lawyers, Inc. series of publications examining the size, scope, and inner workings of America's lawsuit industry.
Copland has published opinion columns in national, local, and online newspapers, including The Wall Street Journal, The National Law Journal, Investors Business Daily, and USA Today. He has appeared on various television and radio shows, including those on PBS, FOX News, FOX Business, MSNBC, CNBC, C-SPAN, and NPR. He has testified before Congress and is a regular speaker and conference participant discussing tort reform issues.
Prior to joining the Manhattan Institute, Copland was a management consultant with McKinsey and Company in New York. He had earlier served as a law clerk for Ralph K. Winter on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He has been a director of two privately held manufacturing companies since 1997.
Copland received J.D. and M.B.A degrees from Yale, where he was an Olin Fellow in Law and Economics and an editor of the Yale Journal on Regulation. He also has an M.Sc. in politics of the world economy from the London School of Economics and a B.A. in economics with highest distinction and highest honors from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a Morehead Scholar.
- PBS's "Newshour"
- Board Member's "This Week in the Boardroom"
- WABC's "John Batchelor Show"
- Westwood One's "Lars Larson Show"
- Money Radio's "Business for Breakfast"
- KPCC's "Airtalk"
- SBN's "Small Business Advocate"
- WBAL's "Ron Smith Show"
- WTPL's "Bulldog Live with Brian Tilton"
- 97.1 FM Talk's "Randy Tobler Show"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Will Supreme Court Open The 'Lawsuit Laundromat'?, Washington Examiner, 01-08-14
- The Sunshine of Disclosure And Some Intimidation, Too, Wall Street Journal, 10-29-13
- Lead Paint: All Over but the Lawsuits, Los Angeles Times, 08-23-13
- Throw (Patent) Trolls Under the Bridge, Politico, 08-06-13
- Eliot Spitzer's Great Big (Bad) Idea, New York Post, 07-26-13
- In 2013, Less Shareholder Proposals Pass, Boardmember.com, 06-20-13
- Playing Politics With NY Pension Funds, , 06-07-13
- Unions' JPMorgan Power Play Is About Labor Organizing, Not Performance, Investor's Business Daily, 05-17-13
- Shareholder Activism and the 2013 Proxy Season, Boardmember.com, 03-11-13
- Why Does FDA Keep Drugmakers From Informing Doctors?, Investor's Business Daily, 01-09-13
- More Articles >>
- The Shadow Lengthens: The Continuing Threat of Regulation by Prosecution Legal Policy Report 18, February 2014
- Corporate Governance and Shareholder Activism Proxy Monitor Report 6, September 2013
- 2013 Proxy Season Review Proxy Monitor Finding, 2013
- 2013 Proxy Season Wrapping Up Proxy Monitor Finding, 2013
- Special Report: Public Pension Fund Activism Proxy Monitor Finding, 2013
- 2013 Proxy Season Under Way: JPMorgan Chase Chairman vote looms large in busy may proxy season Proxy Monitor Finding, 2013
- Watching the 2013 Proxy Season: Union Funds Pushing Companies to Separate Chairman and CEO Roles Proxy Monitor Finding, 2013
- Proxy Monitor 2013: Political Spending, Say on Pay, and Other Key Issues to Watch in the 2013 Proxy Season Proxy Monitor Report 5, March 2013
- Off-Label, Not Off-Limits: The Fda Needs To Create a Safe Harbor For Off-Label Drug Use Issue Brief 15, January 2013
- Cracked Justice: Philadelphia's Magnet Court Making Progress but in Need of Greater Reform Trial Lawyers Inc. Update 10, November 2012
- More Reports >>
Trial Lawyers Inc. Industry Focus
Trial Lawyers Inc. State Focus
City Journal articles
- Laura Finn, web editor for BoardmMember.com and James Copland discuss trends from the 2013 proxy season, 7-24-13.
- James Copland discusses the recent proxy season and the increase in shareholder activism in 2013 with Tim Howard, 10-18-13
- James Copland and Erika Harford discuss the Illinois licensing laws that impede economic growth and discourage small business owners, 09-25-13
- James R. Copland and Chad Readler, partner at Jones Day in Columbus, OH, discuss the over-criminalization and over-"federalization" of criminal law., 08-29-13
- Laura Finn, web editor for BoardMember.com and James Copland discuss trends from the 2013 proxy season, 07-24-13
- James Copland and Laura Finn, the Web Editor at Board Member.com, discuss findings from "2013 Proxy Monitor Finding 5: More Proposals Introduced in 2013 but few Have Gained Majority Support.", 07-24-13
- Laura Finn, web editor for BoardMember.com and James Copland discuss the results of ProxyMonitor.org's first finding in the 2013 Proxy Monitor season. , 04-16-13
- James Copland and Ted Frank, discuss the significance of the Supreme Court's recent ruling in Comcast v. Behrend and its potential impact on class action litigation., 04-08-13
- Jim Copland and Hester Pierce, senior fellow at the Mercatus Center, discuss her recent book co-authored with James Broughel, Dodd-Frank: What It Does and Why It Is Flawed., 01-31-13
- Nicholas Q. Rosenkranz, discusses the topic of his forthcoming book, the subjects and objects of the Constitution and their role in constitutional interpretation, with Jim Copland., 01-03-13
- James Copland and Adam Freedman, author of "The Naked Constitution", discuss the Supreme Court's ruling on the 5th amendment takings case, Arkansas Game and Fish v. United States., 12-11-12
- More Podcasts >>